The ESL LOEP Test is a special version of the exam for international students whose first language is not English.
ESL means English as a Second Language, while LOEP stands for Levels of English Language Proficiency. The LOEP Test is also known as the Accuplacer ESL.
Please click on the link below for more information on our LOEP Test materials:
In order to see an excerpt from our LOEP practice tests, please go to the end of this page.
LOEP Practice Test and Study Guide – Book
If you would prefer a paperback book instead of a download, please visit us on Amazon.
LOEP Test Format
The LOEP tests the international student’s ability to use high-level English language grammar and vocabulary. The LOEP also assesses reading comprehension skills.
The test has three sections:
You will read short passages and answer questions about them, including direct questions and inferences.
This part of the LOEP test evaluates your English grammar skills.
This section of the test examines your knowledge of English vocabulary.
Each section of the actual LOEP Test contains 20 questions.
Our LOEP Practice Test PDF download includes three full-length LOEP practice tests and answers.
Our practice tests are in the same format as the actual Accuplacer ESL test.
An extract from our LOEP Test practice material is in the next three sections of this page.
The LOEP practice tests include reading comprehension, language usage, and sentence meaning.
LOEP Test – Reading Skills
For this section, you will read short passages and answer questions about them. Some questions will be about information which you can find directly in the passage. For other questions, you must make inferences from what you have read.
1. Recent research shows that the rise in teenage smoking in the 1990s primarily took place in the youth from more affluent families, whose parents were both working. Therefore, these teenagers were not from disadvantaged homes, as most people seem to believe. In fact, the facts demonstrate quite the opposite because the most striking and precipitous rise in smoking was for teenagers from the most financially advantageous backgrounds.
What is the primary purpose of this passage?
A. To provide information on a recent trend
B. To emphasize the dangers of smoking
C. To dispel a common misconception
D. To highlight the difference between two types of teenagers
2. Gene splicing, the process whereby a small part of the DNA of one organism is removed and inserted into the DNA chain of another organism, has produced results like the super tomato. In order to create the super tomato, the gene resistant to cold temperatures on the DNA chain of a particular type of cold-water fish was isolated, removed, and inserted into an ordinary tomato plant. This resulted in a new type of tomato plant that can thrive in cold weather conditions.
From this passage, it seems safe to conclude that
A. the super tomato was the first case of gene splicing.
B. the super tomato is only one example of gene splicing.
C. DNA from tomatoes has also been inserted into certain types of fish.
D. Many people object to gene splicing.
. . .
LOEP Test – Language Usage
This section of the test assesses your knowledge of English grammar. For the first part of this section, you must choose the word or phrase that makes a grammatically correct sentence.
For the second part of this section, you will see two sentences. You must then choose a grammatically correct sentence from the answer choices that has the same meaning as the two sentences provided.
21. We hope __________ on vacation this Saturday.
A. to go
B. to going
D. to have gone
22. No sooner __________ than Alice left the party.
A. we arrived
B. had we arrived
C. we had arrived
23. I have never seen __________ performance.
A. such an awful
B. such awful a
C. so an awful
D. a so awful
. . .
31. I did not pass my exam. I did not study for it.
A. I did not study for my exam, because of this I did not pass it.
B. I did not study for my exam, and because of this, I did not pass it.
C. I did not pass my exam because of I did not study for it.
D. I did not pass my exam because of not study for it.
32. My friend put on her seatbelt. Therefore, she was not hurt in the accident.
A. My friend would be injured in the accident had she not put on her seat belt.
B. My friend would have been injured in the accident have she not put on her seat belt.
C. My friend would has been injured in the accident had she not put on her seat belt.
D. My friend would have been injured in the accident had she not put on her seat belt.
33. My mother will visit me this weekend. She will bring my brother along with her.
A. My mother will bring my brother along with her, who will visit me this weekend.
B. My brother along with her, my mother who will visit me this weekend.
C. My mother, who will visit me this weekend, will bring my brother along with her.
D. My mother, will visit me this weekend, will bring my brother along with her.
. . .
LOEP Test – Sentence Meaning
This section of the LOEP tests your knowledge of English vocabulary. For the first part of this section, you must choose the correct word to fill in the gaps in the sentences provided.
For the second part of this section, you will read sentences that contain idioms. You must then choose the answers that best explain the idioms provided.
41. The store specializes in formal __________ for men and women, including suits and dresses.
42. The media’s emphasis on health and fitness has caused many new gyms to spring ____________ .
43. The ceremony __________ at 9:00 and lasts until 11:00.
For for a description of the topics in our LOEP Test Study Guide, please click here: